Back to top
Vanilla Poached Pears
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Level: Easy
- Total: 2 hours 5 minutes
- Prep: 10 minutes
- Cook: 55 minutes
- Inactive: 1 hour
- 750ml Bottle White Wine (Riesling Or Viognier)
- 1 Cup Water
- 5oz (3/4 Cup) Vanilla Sugar
- 1 Whole Vanilla Bean
- 4 Firm Bartlett, Anjou, Or Bosc Pears
- Split And Scrape Vanilla Bean
- Peal And Core Pears
- Place white wine, water, sugar, vanilla bean, and pulp into a 4 quart saucepan over medium high heat.
- Bring to a boil.
- Decrease heat to medium low and add pears.
- Cover and cook for 30 minutes, or until pears are tender.
- Maintain gentle simmer.
- Remove pears to serving dish, stand them upright and refrigerate.
- Remove vanilla bean from saucepan, increase heat to high.
- Reduce liquid to approximately 1 cup of liquid, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Do not allow syrup to turn brown.
- Place syrup into refrigerator to cool, approximately 1 hour.
- Remove pears from refrigerator, spoon syrup over pears and serve.