Back to top
Chili Con Carne
- Yield: 8 Servings
- Level: Easy
- Total: 2 hours 20 minutes
- Prep: 20 minutes
- Cook: 2 hours
- Inactive: 0 minutes
- 2 1/2 Pounds Beef Stew Meat Or Chuck
- 2 1/2 Pounds Pork Stew Meat Or Shoulder
- 1 Tablespoon Salt
- Black Pepper
- 1/3 to 1/2 Cup Corn Oil
- 2 Large Spanish Onions
- 10 Large Cloves Garlic
- 1/3 Cup + 2 Tablespoons Chili Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Cumin
- 2 Teaspoons Dried Oregano
- 1 15oz Can Diced Tomatoes
- 5 Cups Chicken Stock
- 2 15 1/2oz Cans Pinto Beans
- Cut Beef Into 1" Cubes
- Cut Pork Into 1" Cubes
- Chop Onion
- Mince Garlic
- Rinse And Drain Pinto Beans
- Pat Meat dry with a paper towel and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 tablespoons corn oil in a large stew pot or dutch oven over medium high heat.
- Sear meat, in small batches, until well browned, add oil as needed.
- Transfer meat to a bowl and reserve.
- Discard all but 2 tablespoons of oil from the pan.
- Saute onions over medium heat for 10 minutes, scraping browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
- Stir in 1/3 cup chili powder, cumin, and oregano.
- Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes and whisk in 4 cups of chicken stock.
- Add meat and any accumulated juices back into the pot.
- Bring to a gentle simmer.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- In food processor puree half of the beans with 1 cup of chicken stock.
- Add bean mixture to the pot along with remaining can of beans.
- Let simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour or until meat is tender.
- Stir in remaining 2 tablespoons chili powder and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve immediately.